Minutes of a Meeting of the Executive Committee held at 18 Sandbourne Road at 1.00pm on Monday 24th October 2022


Present: Ken Mantock (Chairman), Jean Bird (Vice Chairman), Jean-Daniel Kursner, Sally McGrath (Membership Secretary), John Soane (Built Environment Officer), Phil Stanley-Watts and Elaine Cooper,


Apologies: Paul Newsome (Minutes Secretary). Hilda Brownlow and Alex McKinstry


  1. The minutes for the meeting held on 26th September 2022 were agreed.


  1. Matters Arising from the Minutes.
  • Succession Planning. This will feature in the  next newsletter were an appeal for new committee members will feature prominently.
  • 2022 AGM Minutes. These are now written and are on the website. Printed copies will go to members with the 2023 calling leter.
  • Newsletter Feedback from Councillors– Several BCP councillors acknowledged receipt of the recent newsletter and a meeting will be held with Cllr Judy Butt, Cabinet Lead on Consultations, in the coming months.


  1. Built Environment.
  • Cleaner, Greener, Safer Bournemouth.  Still issues in Boscombe but generally much better service and standards now in place.
  • Town Centre.  Fortitudo plans for Fir Vale Road need to be reviewed by John S. The Avenue Rd/Commercial Rd. Road design brief has been published and is going to Cabinet. John S reported on his attendance at the workshop and the hope that taller buildings would be in the middle of proposed development where it would sit more appropriately and not at edges or corners where it could be incongruous. John S would prepare the Society’s response to the public consultation. Further works and improvements were taking place at Bobbies which was to be welcomed.
  • Boscombe.  JD attended the recent Boscombe Neighbourhood Plan meeting . Pokesdown Railway Station was discussed.
  • Southbourne:
  1. JD met with Verity of SHT and is keeping alive the ideas for BCS sponsored  Heritage Board and Blue Plaque.
  2. Comments on 103 Wick Lane have been sent across as part of the recent monthly observation on planning applications.
  3. No news on the latest Southbourne Cross Road car park flats plans. But JD remains in contact with local campaigners.
  4. Cliff House Hotel – John S to check the plans for conversion to residential use.


  1. Heritage and Conservation.
  • Blue Plaque for BBC at 80 Holdenhurst Road. The plaque unveiling took place last week and had been featured in The Echo and on Radio Solent.


  • Holdenhurst – We will be supporting local campaigners and groups in the opposition to release of green belt land near Holdenhurst for housing development. Phil is attending the forthcoming Throop, Muscliffe and Strouden Park Area Forum.


  • Planning.  See John Soane’s written reports for September
  • 43 Portchester Road : Two storey rear extension:  Design improvements needed
  • 33 Uplands Road :  Alter and extend a detached, two storey house:  Design improvements needed
  • 105 Parkwood Road: Build  a missing corner of a two storey  house:  Design improvements needed
  • 6/8 Cardigan Road: Restore and considerably expand the old one storey, General Post Office building:  Design improvements needed
  • 244 Wallisdown Road: Infill of two houses : Refuse
  • Majorca Mansions, Crescent Road: Construct an extra floor of six flats : Refuse
  • 42 Poole Hill : four storey block of four flats :Design improvements needed
  • Land rear of Chine Crescent: New House: Refuse
  • 72 Howeth Rd: 3 new dwellings : Design improvements needed
  • 23 Bradford Road : Extensions to house; Refuse
  • 15 Southbourne Overcliff Drive: Replacement house: Refuse
  • 20 Old Mulbery Close: Shed: Refuse
  • Land  to the  rear  of   4 Elmsway : Chalet style, detached residence: Refuse.


  1. Planning Committee .
  • October meetings on 4th and 20th Phil attended/viewed these – all Poole plans. Need to check if Bournemouth Plans are now being more regularly decided by officers under delegated powers rather than coming to Planning Committee.
  • November on 17th
  • December on 15th


  1.   Communications Timetable.   The next Newsletter would be New Year 2023 so issued early January.


  1. Civic Voice.  Bulletins received.


  1. Membership Officer’s Report.
  • Sally – 2 new members including a Corporate Member.
  • JD – Updated on contact with Southbourne members, current planning applications and work by one new BCS member on the increase in airBnB homes (rather than family homes) in Southbourne and what the Council could do about this.


  1.  Webmaster’s Report.
  • All correct and up to date, all enquiries being followed up.


  1. Treasurer’s Report:
  • Current Account. £40,578.03
  • Bank Signatories. J-D and Paul had been confirmed by Peter and the bank  as additional signatories for the BCS cheque account. As Beryl has resigned as Activities Secretary and is no longer a member of the committee she will be taken off the list.


  1. Caroline Peach Meeting. No replies to Jean’s emails so Ken will try as well.


  • Any Other Business. 
  • Former Bistro on the Beach site – The Estrella beer themed hording to the site and temporary café was a concern to local members. We would take this up at meeting with Caroline Peach.
  • NCP Car Park, Hinton Road – It was believed that one of the floors had collapsed.
  • Derelict Sites and Simplified Planning Zones – As per Phil’s concerns/queries we will raise this at meeting with Caroline Peach.


Next Meeting


Monday 28th November- 1pm at 18 Sandbourne Road





Ken Mantock              Chairman