Minutes of a Meeting of the Executive Committee held at 18 Sandbourne Road at 1.00pm on Monday 28th November 2022
Present: Ken Mantock (Chairman), Jean Bird (Vice Chairman), Jean-Daniel Kursner, Sally McGrath (Membership Secretary), John Soane (Built Environment Officer), Hilda Brownlow.
Apologies: Paul Newsome (Minutes Secretary) Phil Stanley-Watts, Elaine Cooper and Alex McKinstry. The committee placed on record its deepest condolences to Paul and his family following Dorothy’s passing last week.
- The minutes for the meeting held on 24th October 2022 were agreed.
- Matters Arising from the Minutes.
- Meeting with Cllr Judes Butt – Ken had been in email conversation with Cllr Butt and would meet in the New Year.
- Investment Zones – With changes of policy at Government level both BCP Council and Dorset Council have said they will not be pursuing these initiatives.
- Built Environment.
- Town Centre. Fortitudo plans for Fir Vale Road need to be reviewed by John S. The Avenue Rd/Commercial Rd. design brief review is being prepared by John S. Plans for Beales are covered in this month’s planning applications. Bournemouth names 5th in country as green town centre. Richmond Gardens car park site developers yet to decide on progressing student flats or residential flats scheme. No free car parking in BCP town centres has been criticised.
- BCP Future Places. Lord Kerslake has been appointed chairman and said their will be more transparency.
- Boscombe. Boscombe and Pokesdown Neighbourhood Plan – consultation now open. Town Fund monies have arrived with Council and are being applied with focus on heritage shopfront.
- Southbourne Forum – JD will be in contact again with Verity in the New Year.
- SHT – Ditto above.
- Southbourne Cross Road car park flats plans – No further news following applicant appealing the Council’s refusal of the flats scheme.
- Cliff House Hotel – John S to review plans.
- Former Bistro on the Beach – Correspondence received from K and C B from Southbourne including copy of letter from Tobias Ellwood MP.
- Heritage and Conservation.
- Holdenhurst – Echo covered our support for local campaigners opposition to release of green belt land near Holdenhurst for housing development. Phil is attending the forthcoming Throop, Muscliffe and Strouden Park Area Forum.
- Planning. See John Soane’s written reports for October
- 12 Sutton Road Charminster – a two storey extension at the rear of an existing mid twentieth century detached house and to create further accommodation within the enlarged roof – Refuse
- 96/98 Castle Lane West, Strouden Park – a new bungalow on a new severed site to the rear of an existing rear bungalow – Refuse
- 26/28 Roundhaye Road, Bear Cross – Two bungalows parallel to each other on two severed adjacent developed sites – Refuse.
- 14 Dunbar Road, Talbot Woods – a two storey extension on the south side and a one storey extension on the north side of an existing quite distinguished large family house – Refuse.
- 44 Redhill Avenue – a new detached two bedroom dwelling on a severed site behind an existing property – Refuse.
- 5/6 Lansdown Crescent – Conversion of the former three storey bank building into six one bedroom flats on the first and second floors and the ground floors into a commercial/hospitality centre – Grant
- 51 Belle Vue Road , Southbourne – a two storey side extension and single storey rear extensions to the front and rear elevations to an existing, mid twentieth century detached house. Grant.
- 6 Ashbourne Road, Pokesdown – a new two bedroom detached dwelling on a severed site originally used for garages. Refuse.
- 11 Dowland Road, Northbourne – a new bungalow on a severed site – Refused.
- 300-302 Iford Lane, Tuckton – Demolish the existing houses and construct a three storey block of six flats and a pair of semi-detached – Refuse.
- Fairview House, 17 Hinton Road – Demolish the existing late nineteenth century detached residence and to construct an eight storey block of 49 flats – Defer for further discussion and improvement.
- Babbacombe Lodge, 28 West Hill Road – Demolish the existing mid/late nineteenth century building- latterly an hotel -and to erect a four storey block containing 18 apartments and five holiday flats. Defer for further consideration and improvement.
- 18-22A Studland Avenue, Westbourne – Two, three storey blocks of 45 two and three bedroom apartments on a substantial cleared site – Defer for further discussion and improvement.
- 36-42 Old Christchurch Road former Beales Department Store – Extensive exterior and internal alterations to create 130 one and two bedroom residential units within the six upper storeys of the building with new retail units occupying the ground floor. Three stepped back penthouse floors would be added at the top. Would prefer lesser number of flats and query lack of car parking and additional storeys but on balance as an improvement over current building – Grant
- 80 Southbourne Overcliff Drive – A new four bedroom detached house in place of the existing bungalow – Refuse
- Planning Committee .
- November on 17th – 9 Ravine Road – Demolition of dwelling and replacement with 4 houses.
- December on 15th – J Soane to attend if any Bournemouth plans on agenda,
- Communications Timetable. The next Newsletter would be New Year 2023 so issued early January.
- Civic Voice. Bulletins received and circulated.
- Membership Officer’s Report.
- Sally – No new members.
- JD – Phase one of Southbourne membership project complete. 18 new members so making 39 Southbourne members. 25 posters up in shops and community buildings in the area. Newsletters delivered in person by JD and overwhelming positive response from all he visited. Ideas for Phase 2 next year include monthly e-communication and regular talks/opportunities to meet. Xmas card will be created to email to Southbourne members and it was agreed this to be sent to all other members where e address known. Query over payment of subs by BACs as well as cheque deferred to Jan meeting but noted that we had already agreed this possible and Treasurer was amenable to it.
- Webmaster’s Report.
- All correct and up to date, all enquiries being followed up.
- Treasurer’s Report:
- Current Account. £40,239.72 . Gift Aid refund of £72.75 for 2022 received today
- Charity Commission. Latest bulletin has been received and shared around the Committee
- Caroline Peach Meeting. No replies so Ken will email Chair of Planning Committee.
- Any Other Business.
- John Soane’s new book is at final stages of pre-publication.
- Committee members – Hilda indicated that she was likely standing down at the AGM. Everyone expressed disappointment at her possible loss.
Monday 24th January- 1pm at venue to be confirmed.
Ken Mantock Chairman