Minutes of a Meeting of the Committee held at 18 St Peter’s Church

at 2.00pm on Monday 28th January 2019


  1. Present: Ken Mantock (Chairman), Hilda Brownlow, Peter Lucas,  Sally McGrath (Membership Secretary), John Soane (Built Environment Officer and Paul Newsome (Minutes Secretary)


  1. Apologies: John Barker (President), Jean Bird (Vice Chairman), Beryl Parker (Social

 Secretary), Elaine Cooper, and James Weir (Heritage and Conservation Officer)


  1. Minutes.  The minutes for the meeting held on 26th November were agreed.


  1. Matters Arising from the Minutes:
  • Planning Boards Post Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole Amalgamation.  The Overview and Scrutiny Committee met on 10th December and the Shadow Executive Committee will meet on 12th February.  At this stage a single planning committee is envisaged but it is hoped that practicalities and the need for local distinctiveness of policy and development control will  result in separate sub committees for each borough.
  • Bournemouth University Graduate History Project.  Ken met the team members this morning. The team have divided the work amongst themselves and the plans and proposals look promising.


  1. The Planning Policy Steering Group:
  • Next Meeting.  The Group met on 10th December when it considered the Local Plan, Neighbourhood Plans and the National Planning Policy. Also considered was the Town Centre Vision.


  1.     Built Environment.

  6.1     Winter Gardens.  Plans were approved on 28th November

6.2     A338/Wessex Fields.  To be considered by the Planning Board on 28th January with

recommendations to approve.  The Society has supported proposals that it should be

‘called in’ by the Secretary of State as requested by Friends of Riverside, Tobias

Elwood MP and  Holdenhurst Parish Meeting amongst others.


6.3    Cliff Hotel.  Plans rejected, may continue as an hotel.

6.4    14-20A Belle Vue Road  Plans rejected so bungalows will be retained.

6.5    Southbourne Conservation Area.  Work continues. Ken to speak with Verity.

6.6    Carillion Oil.  The rig was expected on 28th January.

6.7    Beale Place.  Pedestrianisation and improvements due to start soon.

6.8    Boscombe and Pokesdown Neighbourhood Plan.  First meeting was on 16th


6.9    Bournemouth Town Centre Vision.  Responses were due on 6th January

6.10  Belgravia Hotel.  James Podesta has spoken to John S re redevelopment

6.11  Radcliffe Court.  A revised plan doubling the number of flats has been submitted


  1. Heritage and Conservation.
    • 2a and 2b Bradbourne Road. Plans rejected by Council
    • Michelgrove House. Ken had left a message with Parry Brooks and would visit once Hilda had contacted Parry to establish what the current situation was.
    • Regent Cinema. No news so keeping a watching brief.
    • BNSS Rooflight. Ken had given John Cresswell the support he sought.  John also supplied a history of the building (39 Christchurch Road) and it was suggested this could be a project for the Bournemouth University History Graduates
    • Nuffield Hospital, Lansdowne Road. James had been approached concerning plans

for redevelopment and so John would check the plans and arrange for them both to meet them.

  • Winton Fire Station. A concerned resident has contacted John S.
  • Bournemouth Historic Buildings (Echo Feature). This was Bill Bryson and Ken

looking at the historic architectural features above the shop fronts in the town centre and character buildings around the town.

  • The Triangle. The Stables have now been demolished


  1. Planning.  See John Soane’s report:
  •   Plans for a novelty mini-golf course.  Passed, but Society not keen.
  • The Cottage, Manor Road.  The remodelled plans were acceptable
  • 5-7 Clarendon Road.  Plans for 19 flats wrong for the area, 43 objections.  Reject
  • 3 Edgehill Road.  Plans for 3 houses to fill a gap – approve
  • 33-35A St Clement’s Road.  Plans for 6 flats – defer to remove the workshop and

improve fenestration.

  • 28-31 Southcote Road.  23 Student flats – OK for this site
  • Law Courts, Stafford Road.  Plans submitted by the Livingstone Academy – defer

for improved design

  • Punshon Church Site.  Plans for 85 flats – refuse
  • 3 Southbourne Coast Road.  Plans for a pair of semis – defer for improved design
  • 58 Harewood Avenue. Plans for 2 bungalows – refuse


  1. Planning Board Observations.  John S did not attend as it was only TPOs being discussed.
  2. Communications Timetable.  Newsletter published, info for Summer edition

to Sally by end of June.


  1. Civic Voice. Received information had been distributed. Arrangements being confirmed re Civic Voice Chair as Guest Speaker at our AGM and a South West meeting of Civic Societies that afternoon.


  1. Bournemouth 2026  Elaine attended their AGM and reported  they had cash flow problems and would be producing a report soon on the way forward.


  1. Bournemouth-in-Bloom. No report as Beryl recouperating. The Committee sent her their best wishes.


  1. Activities Officer.  No report but Ken had established a liaison with Blandford

Civic Society which was keen to run joint outings (subsequently Wimborne Civic

Society have expressed their wish to be included also). Ken to contact respective Chairmen and report further.


  1. Membership Officer’s Report. Sally updated on year end figures for annual     and life members. It was agreed that we should have a have a membership drive.


  1. Webmaster’s Report. All up to date and enquiries received through web have

been responded to.


  1. Treasurer’s Report: Current account now £12,883.49.  Beryl to be added as a

Signatory to the current account.


  1. Any Other Business.

   18.1  Talks.  John S would be presenting to the Tinnitus Society on 24th July and Ken

          would address Southbourne Literary Society on 20th March and Blandford Civic

Society in July.

18.2  Meeting with Caroline Peach.  The next meeting with Caroline Peach would be on

          22nd February


  Next Meeting – Monday February 25th  at 18 Sandbourne Road


   The meeting closed at 15.25                     



Ken Mantock

25th February 2019                                                                                     Chairman